Sugar mill Le Galion

Sucrerie-Distillerie Le Galion Martinique

The last candy in activity in Martinique produces brown sugar but also a rum called Grand Arome.

It was created in 1865 in the Grand-Fond Domain.

In 1865, Eugène Eustache, a former merchant, decided to set up a modern sugar factory in the Grande Fond domain, already an important center of cane in Trinité.

It is today the only sugar mill in the island and is still active. The harvest runs from March to June. During thatf period, the plant can be visited on demand. Habitation The famous Galion Habitation dating from the seventeenth century can be visited on demand. It is also a perfect location for many films.

The cane plants are planted by cuttings. They are buried and give buds that develop into stems. The sugar cane cup happens every year from March to June. Once at the distillery, the cane is washed, cut and crushed. The residue obtained, the bagasse, is used to feed the boiler, which allows a perfect energy autonomy of the distillery.